Do I Need an Attorney to File an Injury Claim in Virginia?
When a person is injured as a result of the actions of another party, filing an injury claim may be the only way to recover compensation. In fact, if injuries are serious or damages are severe, filing an injury claim to help pay for losses may be a necessity.
While filing an injury claim is a very routine process that many people engage in after being injured in a motor vehicle accident, filing an injury claim can still feel overwhelming. To help you navigate the process and improve your chances of recovering the compensation that you deserve, working with an experienced personal injury attorney is often advised. Here’s what you need to know.
When You Should Hire an Attorney
It’s true that not all injury claims require the help of an attorney to be successful; there are some claims that can be filed without legal counsel. However, hiring an attorney is advised when:
- You have suffered serious injuries (your injuries have caused long-term or permanent disability, impairment, disfigurement, or scarring);
- You have suffered significant monetary losses in the form of damages like lost wages, property damage, medical expenses, etc.;
- Your injury claim has been denied by an insurance company;
- Fault is undetermined or disputed; or
- You have been offered a settlement that is much less than you deserve.
You may also want to consider hiring an attorney if the at-fault party cannot be identified (i.e. you were involved in a hit-and-run accident), or if you are filing a claim against a large company or corporation, as big businesses have big lawyers whose job it is to protect businesses’ interests.
The Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer
Even if your injury claim does not fall into one of the categories listed above – and certainly if it does – hiring a lawyer to assist and represent you as you navigate the claims process may still be within your best interest. The benefits of working with an attorney after you have been injured include:
- Working with a skilled investigator. One advantage of hiring an attorney is that in addition to a lawyer, you’re hiring a skilled investigator. Your attorney will immediately get to work putting together the pieces of your accident, what happened, and who’s to blame. At the law offices of Buck, Toscano & Tereskerz, Ltd., we work with accident reconstruction, forensic, and other experts who can determine the precise cause of your injuries.
- Reliable source of legal information. An attorney is trained in the law, which means that if you have any questions about the claims process, your rights along the way, how much you may be able to recover, how fault laws work in Virginia, or anything else pertaining to the law, your attorney will act as a reliable, accurate source of information.
- Advocate on your side committed to representing you. One of the greatest advantages of working with an attorney is that hiring a lawyer means that you have an advocate on your side throughout the entire process who is committed to representing you. From proving fault to filing your claim and negotiating a fair settlement on your behalf and more, your attorney will be there to support you every step of the way. And remember, if your claim cannot be settled out of court, your attorney will be prepared to take your case to court.
- An affordable way to improve the chances of a successful claim. Finally, hiring an attorney is an affordable way to significantly improve the chances that your claim will be successful. Because most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations and work on a contingency fee basis, you should never have to pay out of pocket for legal services.
Visit the Law Firm of Buck, Toscano & Tereskerz, Ltd. Today
Filing an injury claim may be the best way to recover compensation when you’ve been harmed by the actions of another. At the law offices of Buck, Toscano & Tereskerz, Ltd., our experienced Virginia personal injury attorneys understand what you’re looking for in a personal injury attorney, and can provide you with skilled legal representation. Please schedule a free consultation with our law firm today by visiting us in person, calling us at 434-977-7977, or sending us an email using the form found on our website. We promise to work hard for you.